Friday, January 17, 2014

Granola Girl

Someone in my sister (Jocelyn's) ward gave her some granola for a new years gift with a note that said "to a happy and healthy new year!" She loved the granola and put it on yogurt, with milk, by the handful as a snack.  She asked for the recipe and I usually request any recipe that anyone loves... because it usually means that it is tested, tried and good!  It's also pretty easy to switch up and make it with things that you like.  Don't like pecans and raisins? Use walnuts and craisins, or almonds and dates.  Don't like coconut? leave it out!  I really liked it, but Ryan LOVED it.  He was shoveling it in his mouth with a spoon and said "oh my gosh this taste like candy!"  He is by far the healthier of the two of us, so his idea of "candy" tastes much different than mine! 
Grandma Brimhall's Granola (I have no clue who Grandma Brimhall is, but she is a good cook!)
6 cups instant oatmeal (I used the quick cooking)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup wheat germ (for reals, the first time I have ever bought this stuff!)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans because Ryan loves them)
1 cup dates (or raisins or craisins...we used raisins because Ryan loves them... do you see a theme here!?)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
mix all dry ingredients together.
in a separate bowl combine:
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1/3 cups water
1 tsp vanilla
pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and mix until well combined.  pour into a large ungreased cookie sheet (I put it on tinfoil and greased it... because that's what I do, and sometimes I'm a freak like that!) Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes (mine took 30-35) mixing every 5 or so minutes.  I just used tongs and mixed it around to make sure the coconut didn't burn.  you can't under or over cook this... just bake it to the desired crunch level... actually you quite easily could over bake this, but only if you burn it.  Other than that it is just baking it to your liking.  Let cool and store in an airtight container!  It makes quite a bit, but Jocelyn tried halving it and it didn't work for her.  So make the whole thing and give some away! Happy Granola Baking gals!
Shae
PS: Since I don't have a picture of the granola, I thought I'd insert a picture of our completed gingerbread house from the competition. Can you believe that was just a month a go? In some ways it seems like this time has flown by, but in others it is just dragging right along!   


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to try this!! I'm always looking for new healthy snacks. Where do you find wheat germ? In the regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! But keep it in the fridge after you open it (I'd also store the granola in the fridge!)

    ReplyDelete